Souring is one of the most common methods of harvesting cabbage, in this form it can be stored in a cool place for several months. There are many ways to prepare sauerkraut, starting with the traditional one, and ending with various options with: beets, cranberries, carrots and other products. Sauerkraut is not only tasty, but also very useful, in this form the product contains a huge amount of vitamin C. In this topic, we have collected sauerkraut recipes with photos and step-by-step cooking, at home.
White cabbage - 2 kg,
Black peppercorns - ½ tsp,
Bay leaf - 2-3 pcs.,
White cabbage - 1 kg,
Carrots - 2 pieces,
Coarse salt - 1 tablespoon,
Sugar - 100 grams
Bay leaf - 3 pieces,
Black pepper peas - 10 pieces.
White cabbage - 1 head of medium size,
Fresh carrots - 3 pcs.,
Garlic - 1 head,
Sweet pepper - 2 pcs.
Vinegar (9%) concentration - 150 ml,
Refined sunflower oil - 150 ml,
So here we go
1. Prepare the workplace, we will need to occupy almost the entire table. Remove the top leaves from the cabbage.
2. Shred the cabbage in strips of approximately 5 mm, removing the stalk.
3. Add chopped carrots, seasonings if desired. Salt, for 1 kg of cabbage - 30 g of carrots and 20 g of salt.
It is better to add coarse rock salt, but not iodized: the product will be bitter and smell unpleasant.
4. Now, the hardest part is to mix and crush the cabbage firmly with your hands. If you have a lot of chopped, divide this process into portions. I must say right away, this process is not easy. You need to mash the cabbage until the juice stands out.
5. Place the mixture in the pan, tamping hard. You can be a pusher, I prefer to just press with my hand in a fist.
It is necessary to ensure that the juice squeezed from the cabbage covers it. Cover with a cloth and lay the plate on top. Press down so that the juice comes out. Leave to roam at room temperature.
4. Every day, pierce the contents with a wooden stick to the bottom of the container to release fermentation gases, otherwise the product will turn out to be bitter. Remove the foam.
5. After 3-5 days (depending on what temperature the process is), fermentation is completed. The willingness of cabbage can be determined by taste.
Next, you need to remove the cabbage from the heat, place it in the refrigerator or on the balcony, but note: in the cold, and also at a warm storage temperature, the cabbage can become soft. The most comfortable storage temperature for sauerkraut, zero - minus five degrees.
As you can see, sauerkraut recipe is quite simple and it is quite simple to cook it at home quickly. There is another way to leaven.
Sauerkraut Recipe with Pickle
This method of leaven will not require much physical effort, as the previous one.
Take two medium-sized cabbage - chop.
Carrots will follow, it can be chopped on a shredder for Korean carrots.
Now, everything needs to be mixed and slightly squeezed.
Immediately put the cabbage in a container where it will be fermented, ram it quite tightly.
Such proportions, I take based on two liters of water, four tablespoons of salt and two of the same tablespoons of sugar. That’s all wisdom. Mix everything well.
Take cold water and preferably not from the tap. Pour the brine into the cabbage so that it completely covers it. We put on top of a plate and put a load on it.
We are waiting for our harvest three to four days. We remove the oppression and transfer the cabbage to another container, where it should stand for ten to twelve hours. What will it give? Excessive bitterness from the product will come out.
All! You can lay cabbage in banks. Yes, here! Before laying, squeeze a little cabbage. There will be enough liquid when tamping in a jar.
It is noticed that from two medium kachn cabbage it turns out to fill one three-liter jar.
This recipe is checked, if everything is done according to it, there will be no disappointments. Store such sauerkraut, according to the same principle as described in the first recipe.
An old, simple recipe for the leaven of cabbage (video)
Such a recipe is really simple and the final product is very worthy. The output will be juicy, crispy sauerkraut. So our ancestors fermented (in the correct sense of the word ...).
I hope the recipes will be in demand, they are simple and, if I may say so, effective. I want to share a little more useful information:
A little about sauerkraut
When sauerkraut is not subjected to heat treatment, therefore, the substances included in its composition do not collapse and do not lose their beneficial properties. And such a product can be stored up to ten months.
According to all rules, cabbage is fermented for at least 3-7 days. Unscrupulous manufacturers use acetic acid to speed up the process: the product is ready in two days, but there is no benefit from it. And the taste is not the same.
Many housewives add sugar to cabbage, which also accelerates fermentation, and it should take place naturally. You can sweeten the snack when serving.
High-quality sauerkraut, although it is industrial or home-made, should be juicy and crisp, light straw, slightly yellowish in color, the taste of regular cabbage should be slightly salty with sourness.
If seasonings and spices were used in the preparation, then they will slightly affect the shade. Cabbage should be chopped in strips of about 5 mm (if thinner - valuable substances are worse preserved), without large particles, leaves and stalks. Here's a recipe for sauerkraut.
The benefits and harms of sauerkraut for the human body
- Fiber promotes the digestion of food, vitamin B6 - the breakdown of proteins, so a good snack is served with meat.
- Cabbage juice improves heart function. Normalizes cholesterol.
- Thanks to antioxidants and a vitamin and mineral complex, it boosts immunity and helps withstand colds and flu.
- Suitable for allergy sufferers because vitamin U has an antihistamine effect.
- Promotes rejuvenation. Vitamin C, a natural antioxidant, slows down premature aging of cells, vitamin A improves skin condition.
- Slows down the division of cancer cells and prevents the development of malignant tumors.
Do not abuse
Sauerkraut due to the abundance of organic acids is contraindicated in people with high acidity, as well as with chronic gastritis or an ulcer. In addition, it causes increased gas formation.
Due to the presence of salt, it should be used with caution in hypertonics and cores. When cooking cabbage, they often use a lot of salt, and this provokes swelling. Before use, cabbage can be doused with boiling water to make the product less salty.
Caution with sauerkraut also needs to be for people prone to high blood sugar.
Sour cabbage has a low calorie content. But it’s still difficult to call it a dietary product. It turns out that any product with sourness increases the appetite, and if you are prone to overeating, it is better to exclude it from the diet, otherwise you can provoke yourself. Those on a diet should not water cabbage with oil - this increases its calorie content.
That's all that I was ready to voice. I think you will find here a suitable recipe for sauerkraut.
If what you write in comments, can anyone have their own?
The classic recipe for delicious sauerkraut at home.
In order not to deviate from the classic recipe, we need:
- White cabbage,
- Fresh carrots
- coarse salt
- granulated sugar.
If you wish, then to the above ingredients you can add dill seeds, laurel leaves, cranberries and peas of black pepper.
Only varieties of mid-ripening and late-ripe white cabbage are suitable for pickling. Heads of cabbage should be elastic, tight, and the vegetable itself is slightly sweet in taste, juicy and crispy. It should not have green leaves, and its slice in color should resemble a creamy white shade. Rock salt should not be iodized, otherwise the final product will be slightly bitter, with an unpleasant odor and not crunchy.
Attention! Only enameled dishes (buckets, pans, pots) or glass jars are suitable for pickling!
How to ferment cabbage?
- Free the kitchen table completely (excess space will not hurt us). Take a head of cabbage and remove the top leaves from it.
- With a regular knife or a special device for shredding, cut it into strips of 5 mm width. Remove the stump.
- Grate the carrots on a coarse grater or chop it into thin strips. Put seasoning. For 1 kg you will need 20 gr. salt (a tablespoon without a slide) and 30 gr. carrots.
Attention! Once again, pay attention to what salt you add. If it is iodized, then after pickling the cabbage will have a bitter aftertaste and an unpleasant odor.
- Someone considers this activity the most difficult, but it is even very pleasant when all the ingredients are mixed and wrinkled by hands until the juice is released. A large volume must be divided into portions and with each portion to carry out all manipulations separately.
- Take the prepared enameled (glass) container and ram the cabbage there. To do this, use, for example, a crush. You can just ram it with your hand or fist until cabbage juice appears on the surface. Take a tissue napkin, put it on top of the mass, then cover everything with a plate and press down with the yoke so that the juice comes out. Just set the capacity aside. fermentation will take place at room temperature.
- So that the final product is not bitter, you need to pierce the mixture to the bottom with a long wooden pin every day. With this action, we will release the gases that form during fermentation. If foam collects on the surface, it must also be removed.
- The fermentation process takes from 3 to 5 days (it all depends on the temperature in the house). Willingness is always determined by taste.
Then the finished yummy needs to be removed in a cool place (refrigerator, closet, balcony), but not in the cold, because how too cold and warm make her soft. The optimal storage temperature is from 0 to 5 C.
You must admit that it is quite simple to ferment cabbage at home. There are other methods of leaven, which we will also pay attention to.
For brine you will need:
- 2 liters of cold water, but not from the tap, but spring water,
- 4 tbsp. lies. coarse salt
- 2 tbsp. Lodge. granulated sugar.
We mix the ingredients until completely dissolved and pour the resulting brine so that it covers it. We cover on top with a plate and press down with the help of a load.
After 3-4 days, we transfer to another container, after removing the load and let it stand for another 10-12 hours. This must be done in order to leave the extra bitterness from the product.
Now you can put the cabbage in banks. And here is a little secret: before putting it in, slightly squeeze it from the juice, because when you tamp it in a jar, there will be enough liquid for further storage.
This recipe, proven by many, will not disappoint you. For storing cabbage cooked in brine, the same principle is used as for sauerkraut cooked in the classical way.
Kvassim delicious homemade cabbage in a pan: recipe with caraway seeds
Adding caraway seeds to sauerkraut, you will get a new pleasant aroma. It is this spice that is often placed in this workpiece. Optionally, you can put some dill seeds, bay leaves and allspice peas. Too many different spices can ruin the taste of the finished dish, so in this case it is better to adhere to minimalism.
- cabbage - 4 kg
- carrots - 3 pcs. secondary
- caraway seeds - 2 tsp
- salt - 1 tablespoon
- sugar - 1 tablespoon
1. If you read the previous recipe, you already know that all the actions are very simple. Grate the carrots on a coarse grater, and chop the cabbage in any convenient way.
2. Fold the squirrel in a large basin or simply on a table. Sprinkle with sugar and salt. Clean your hands well with clean hands. Add caraway seeds and stir again. At the end, attach the carrots to the total mass and remember a little more so that the juice starts to stand out.
3. Put the vegetable mixture in an enamel pan, ramming it.
Vegetables should be very tight. Cover the entire surface with cabbage leaves to protect it from dust.
4.Now you need to put the workpiece under oppression. To do this, put a plate on the cabbage and install a jar of water. Almost everything, wait until the ripening is over. This can happen in 2-5 days. At a temperature of 22 degrees, you will need to wait three days.
5. But every day, in the morning and in the evening, it is necessary to release gas bubbles so as not to get a bitter product in the end. This is done with a long wooden stick or a thin knife, cabbage is pierced in several places. After piercing, put it under oppression again.
6.When the gas ceases to stand out, transfer the fermented vegetables into jars, cover and put in the refrigerator. After cooling, you can eat such a snack. But in a few days the taste will be more intense. So it makes sense to wait a bit.
And a little more about sauerkraut cabbage
During pickling, cabbage can not be cooked, which means that all the useful vitamins and trace elements are not destroyed, and the product retains its useful properties. Shelf life can reach up to 10 months.
Fermentation rules require that this process last from 3 to 7 days. To speed up the fermentation process, some manufacturers add vinegar. She is ready in 2 days, but the benefit of such a product is minimal, and the taste is not at all the same as that of a real one.
Some housewives prefer to add sugar to speed up the fermentation process. But the whole point is not to speed up the cooking processes, but to make them go their own natural way. And you can sweeten the dish before serving.
The fact that you have a quality product, first of all, will be indicated by the color of the cabbage (light straw, yellowish) and its taste (it should be juicy, crispy, sour-salty, but not the other way around). These rules must always be respected, regardless of whether in industrial conditions sauerkraut was made or at home.
The addition of spices and seasonings during the leaven affects the color cast. It is advisable to observe the width of the chopped strips (approximately 5 mm). If they are smaller, then useful microelements will remain worse, and if they are larger, it will not look so appetizing. And, of course, it should be without a stump and without leaves.
What benefits and harm does sauerkraut do for the human body.
- Fiber contained in cabbage helps to digest food, and vitamin AT 6 - break down proteins.
- Sour juice reduces cholesterol and positively affects the work of the heart.
- Vitamins and antioxidants enhance immunity.
- Antihistamine action of vitamin U allows you to use sauerkraut, even allergy sufferers.
- Vitamin contained FROM is a natural antioxidant. It resists premature cell aging.
- It also inhibits the growth of cancer cells.
But along with the above properties, it can harm those people who have high acidity of the stomach, ulcers or chronic gastritis. Cabbage also contributes to increased gas formation.
Although it contains a little salt, hypertonics and cores should use it carefully. To reduce the amount of salt, it is best to pour boiling water over it before use.
In large volumes, it is undesirable to use for people with high blood sugar. Despite the fact that sauerkraut cabbage has a low calorie content, it is not considered a dietary product, because able to increase appetite. Those on a diet should not be watered with oil, and prone to overeating, it is generally better to exclude it from the diet.
A classic recipe for sauerkraut with cranberries in a bucket
To improve the taste when pickling, add acidic berries to the cabbage - cranberries, lingonberries. Thus, the usefulness of this workpiece increases. I suggest you try cooking vegetables with bright red berries.
- cabbage - 8 kg
- carrots - 3 kg
- salt - 150 gr. (6 tablespoons)
- cranberries - 0.5 kg (can be frozen)
1. Actually, you can ferment cabbage in any container - a jar, saucepan, bucket, barrel. Here are the ingredients for one ten-liter bucket. If you want to do less, please reduce the products proportionally.
About 3 kg of cabbage will fit in a three-liter jar, and 5 kg in a 5-liter pan, respectively.
2. Peel the carrots and grate them on a coarse grater. With a large amount of work, you can use the services of a food processor. Cabbage needs to be chopped with a long straw. To do this, take a large knife (always well-ground), a shredder or, again, a combine. Remove the top leaves, but do not throw them away, they will still come in handy.
3. Wash the enameled bucket well. At the bottom, put the upper remaining sheets, which will protect the lower layers of the workpiece from pathogenic microbes.
4. Take a large bowl, mix in it a third of cabbage, carrots and salt. When stirring, squeeze the vegetables well with your hands so that they start letting juice out. Transfer the resulting mixture into a prepared bucket and carefully compact it. Lay out half of the cranberry top on top.
5. Then proceed in the same way: mix a third of the ingredients, mash, tamp in a bucket and sprinkle with the rest of the berries. And on top lay the last third of vegetables.
6. Cover the top with a wide dish and put oppression. In this case, the juice should completely cover the workpiece. Leave in a warm place for 3 days to ferment. The very next day, the brine becomes cloudy, carbon dioxide begins to be released. To release these gases, twice a day throughout the entire leaven period, pierce the cabbage with a wooden stick in several places, reaching the bottom of the bucket.
7. When the gases have ceased to be released, you need to remove the vegetables in the cold, because in the heat they simply deteriorate. On average, this happens on the fourth day (everything will depend on temperature). For storage, put the cabbage in glass jars, cover them with lids and put them in the cellar or refrigerator. Serve after 2 days of cooling.
Before unfolding in a glass container, cabbage is recommended to be laid out on a table or in a basin and fluffed. Ventilate to remove odor.
8. Sauerkraut can be added to vinaigrette, cabbage soup, make salads from it with the addition of green and onions, herbs, sugar, vegetable oil. As you can see, preparing such a workpiece is not difficult, but you will get a lot of benefits and taste.
By the way, recently checked for quality store sauerkraut. It turned out that almost all of it contains unhealthy supplements. Therefore, draw conclusions and cook yourself.
A quick way to ferment cabbage with brine in a 3 liter jar
Classically, cabbage brews for about 3 days, plus or minus, depending on the temperature in the room. This recipe is from the category of fast, ready-made salad can be eaten in a day. And its difference from previous recipes in the presence of brine with the addition of water.
- white cabbage - 1 pc. large
- carrots - 1 pc.
- sugar - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 1 tablespoon
- black pepper peas - 10 pcs.
- bay leaf - 3-4 pcs.
- boiled water - 1 l
1. Wash and chop vegetables. Carrots - on a coarse grater or grater for Korean dishes. Chop the cabbage with a long straw, about half a centimeter wide. Put prepared foods in a basin and remember them carefully. At the same time, they will decrease in volume and start up juice.
2. Add spices, lavrushka and peppercorns to the total crushed mass and stir. If you do not like the flavor of these seasonings - do not use them. Put the vegetable mixture in a jar by ramming it.
It is advisable to pour boiling water over the glass before laying it.
3. Make the easiest pickle. For him, you need to dissolve salt and sugar in cold boiled water. Pour the cabbage with this marinade and crush well again. Cover the top with a lid or napkin and leave it warm for a day.
4. The next day, try what happened. But be aware that sauerkraut is becoming tastier every day, you may need to wait a little longer. Keep this blank in the refrigerator.
How to ferment cabbage for the winter in your own juice. Classic recipe for 10 kg
This is a classic recipe for sauerkraut that roams in its juice. A large quantity is being prepared right away to provide for the winter. This workpiece is stored well, but only in a cold place. I recommend cooking with this recipe in November, when stable colds will come and you can transfer the cans to the cellar or to an unheated loggia.
You can put all the additives that I mentioned in this article to your taste and desire: bay leaves, peppercorns, caraway seeds, sour berries, apples, beets, dill seeds.
- cabbage - 10 kg
- carrots - 1.5 kg
- salt - 250 gr.
1. Peel the whole carrot and grate it. Chop the cabbage. Since the amount of vegetables is large, you can use a food processor or a special grater to speed up the work, as in the photo.
2. Take a large fermentation container. It can be a bucket or a large pan of 10-20 liters. In a bowl, mix cabbage, carrots and salt in portions. It is not necessary to knead strongly, it will be enough just to stir. Pour the vegetables into the prepared clean containers and wash them well with your hand so that they lie tight. Continue to put the vegetables in pieces in the dishes, ramming them.
There will be no juice right away; it will appear a little later, the next day. But the appetizer for this recipe will be very crispy.
3.Do not fill the tank to the top. When fermented, the cabbage rises, the juice may leak, so leave free space for these processes. Cover the blank with the leaves of the squirrel, put a plate and put a weight on it.
4. Keep the cabbage warm for two days. When the bubbles begin to appear (within a day or earlier), pierce the workpiece with a wooden stick daily to release gas. If this is not done, then the finished product will be bitter.
5. After 2-3 days, spread the fermented vegetables in clean jars and put them in a cold place, it is possible on the balcony. Stand in the cold for another 5 days, after which you can already eat this juicy, tasty and crispy snack. Also use this cabbage for cooking pies, stew it, put in a vinaigrette and cabbage soup. In general, bon appetit!
How to cook sauerkraut with horseradish, beetroot and garlic: video recipe
This recipe differs from the rest in the way of slicing cabbage. Usually this vegetable is chopped into strips. Large pieces are also fermented here. Beetroot, garlic and horseradish are added for taste, color and aroma. And all this wealth is poured with brine.
I’ll clarify right away, first this winter billet must be put under the press for 2 days and kept at room temperature. Then put it in a cool place (for example, a refrigerator) for another 3 days without removing the yoke. In total, after 5 days (possibly later), the vegetables will ferment and they can be eaten. After five days, remove the oppression and cover.
For details, see the video, where the author tells in detail how to cook this dish.
These are the ways to ferment cabbage in a classic way. As you can see, there are a lot of them, there is plenty to choose from. The main thing is not to be lazy and please yourself with such a useful and crisp workpiece. I wish you all a tasty winter!
Adding an article to a new collection
How to ferment cabbage at home in banks, a large saucepan or an enameled basin, will tell and show our master class, to which we traditionally attach a photo of each step of the process.
Crispy cabbage, complemented by a finely chopped onion, seasoned with vegetable oil and sugar ... Are you already in anticipation of this light and nutritious side dish and (what really hide) a great snack? And if the evening was especially fun, then in the morning there is nothing more effective than a cabbage pickle to bring the body into tone. Vitamin C is also preserved in sauerkraut.
What will be needed for making sauerkraut
- 3 kg of white cabbage,
- 4 large carrots,
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 incomplete tablespoon granulated sugar
- cranberries and caraway seeds to taste.
You can also add bay leaves, allspice, currant leaves and other spices to sauerkraut, depending on your taste. To prepare this dish you will need one large head or two small heads.
Experts advise choosing medium-late and late varieties for white cabbage. At the same time, the head of the head should be more than 2 cm in diameter, and the forks themselves should be tight.
Before you start cooking, peel the cabbage from the top few leaves: they are usually dirty. Then carefully inspect the vegetables again for integrity. Remove all damaged parts. After that, carefully remove the top leaf from the cabbage, being careful not to damage it. Set it aside for a while.
Remove the stump from the head of cabbage. Chop cabbage: this can be done manually or using household appliances. If for lack of time you decide to use the second option, choose a nozzle so that the cabbage is thin and long.
It is not worth chopping the cabbage finely: in this case, it can turn out to be soft, and not crispy. In addition, more vitamins are stored in large pieces of cabbage.
Tightly place the cabbage in clean, sterilized and cooled three-liter jars. Instead of sterilization, you can treat them from the inside with vinegar or alcohol - this is a sure way to disinfect dishes, however, it is less convenient. For better compaction when laying cabbage is periodically tamped with a pest or a potato masher.
If there is a lot of cabbage, then instead of three-liter cans it is logical to choose a wooden barrel or a large enameled pan. But in no case can you use iron or aluminum utensils for souring - in this case, the taste of the vegetable will deteriorate, its color will be gray, and most of the useful substances will disappear.
Fill the prepared jars with cabbage not to the very neck, but approximately to the "girdle" in order to better provide air access. In order for the top layer of the vegetable not to turn black, lay a prepared cabbage leaf on top. Take a sharp wooden stick and pierce the cabbage along with the top leaf in several places. This will speed up the fermentation process.
Leave the jars at a temperature of 18-24 ° C. For full fermentation, pierce the cabbage with a sharp wooden stick three to four times a day and remove the resulting foam. You can additionally cover the jar with gauze, but you can not close the container tightly.
After 3-5 days, close the cabbage with a plastic lid and transfer to a refrigerator or a cool room. This must be done immediately after fermentation - otherwise the cabbage will lose its elasticity and will not crackle.
A sure sign that the cabbage is fermented well is an improvement in the color of the brine: it becomes lighter. Make sure that the brine completely covers the cabbage: in this case, it will retain its color and taste.
Almost every housewife has her own recipe for sauerkraut. If you are not an exception, share it with us.
How to ferment cabbage tasty - cooking secrets
If, after studying the recipes presented above, you still have questions about the procedure, you will find answers to some of them in this section. Homemade leaven of the Queen of the Garden will be easy and fun if you familiarize yourself with some of the nuances of this process:
- The most crisp cabbage will be obtained if you ferment late (winter) varieties.
- Grind shredded straws with salt more actively: the longer and more diligently you do it, the juicier and tastier the dish will become.
- Try to ferment a vegetable with a minimum set of spices - they can well preserve, but if you abuse them, they kill your own taste of the vegetable.
- The white-haired beauty can be fermented using any container, but it is still recommended to store it in glass jars. Before this, it is advisable to sterilize them, or simply rinse well with soda.